accolades bestowed on Kees A. Schouhamer Immink
- IEEE Medal of Honor, For pioneering contributions to video,
audio, and data recording technology, including compact disc, DVD, and
Blu-ray, Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers, 2017.
- IET Faraday Medal, For significant contributions to digital
audio, video, and data storage, Institution of Engineering and
- Finalist, European Inventor Award, Lifetime Achievement Category, Coding
methods for CD, DVD and Blu-ray, enabling a revolution in consumer
electronics, European Patent Office, 2015.
- Eduard Rhein Technology Prize, For contributions to the theory
and practice of channel codes that enable efficient and reliable optical
recording, and creative contributions to digital recording technology,
Eduard Rhein Foundation, 2014.
- Honorary doctorate, University of Johannesburg, 2014.
- Progress Medal, For the central role played in research and
development of audio and video recording products, Society of Motion
Picture and Televison Engineers, 2004.
- IEEE Consumer Electronics Engineering Excellence Award, 2004.
- Heyser Memorial lecturer, Audio Engineering Society, 2004.
- Technology and Engineering Emmy Award, For coding technology of
optical recording formats, National Television Academy (NATAS), 2003.
- Inducted into the Consumer Electronics Hall of Fame, Consumer
Electronics Association (CEA), 2003.
- President, Audio Engineering Society, 2002.
- Knighthood in the Order of Oranje-Nassau awarded by Beatrix, Queen
of the Netherlands, 2000.
- IEEE Millennium Medal, Institute of Electrical and Electronics
- AES Gold Medal, For significant contributions to the
advancement of consumer audio technology by the Audio Engineering
- IEEE Edison Medal, For a career of creative contributions to
the technologies of digital video, audio, and data recording, Institute
of Electrical and Electronics Engineers,
- Golden Jubilee Award for Technological Innovation, For the
invention of constrained codes, IEEE Information Theory Society, 1998.
- AES 50th Anniversary Commemorative Medal, Audio Engineering
- Masaru Ibuka Consumer Electronics Award, For pioneering
contributions to consumer digital audio and video recording products,
Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers, 1996.
- A.M. Poniatoff Gold Medal Award for Technical Excellence, For
outstanding contributions to the development of new techniques and/or
equipment that have contributed to the advancement of audio or video
magnetic recording and reproduction, Society of Motion Picture and
Television Engineers, 1994.
- Sir J.J. Thomson Medal, For distinguished contributions to
electronics, Institution of Electrical Engineers, 1993.
- AES Silver Medal, For major contributions to the development of
digital audio recording systems, Audio Engineering Society, 1992.
- Member, Royal Holland Society of Sciences and Humanities, Koninklijke Hollandse Maatschappij der
- Foreign member, (US) National Academy of Engineering, (NAE),
For pioneering and advancing the era of digital audio, video, and
- Member, Batavian Society of
Experimental Philosophy (Bataafsch Genootschap der Proefondervindelijke Wijsbegeerte), Rotterdam.
- Fellow, Royal Netherlands Academy of Arts and Sciences (KNAW), 1996.
- Honorary member, Netherlands Electronics and Radio Society, (NERG).
- Fellow, Society of Motion Picture and Television Engineers, (SMPTE).
- Fellow, Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers, (IEEE), For
contributions to optical laser recording and compact disc digital audio
- Fellow, Institution of Engineering and Technology, (IET).
- Fellow, Audio Engineering Society, (AES).
- Chartered Engineer, Engineering Counsel, UK.
Best Paper Awards
- Co-recipient (with Jun Lee) Chester Sall Award for "DC-free
Multimode Code Design Using Novel Selection Criteria for Optical Recording
Systems," IEEE Transactions on Consumer Electronics, May 2009.
- Co-recipient (with Kui Cai) Best Paper Award for "A
general construction of constrained parity-check codes for optical
recording," 2008 IEEE Communications Society, Data Storage
Technical Committee in Signal Processing and Coding for Data Storage,